Saturday, August 30, 2008

An Orchid
( E or N ?)
in the local vicinity
(I think it's an Orchid!- click to enlarge Photo taken 18/8/o8)
The sign on the tree ...well it's a joke!
there aren't any crocs in this area,
Well! not wild ones anyway.
Australia Zoo has plenty, but that is about a 1/2 hour
drive from where I live.




12 days later this beautiful flower is in bloom! (30/8/08)
Creamy white with a faint perfume best described as vanilla-ish !



***************

This baby Grass Tree (the one in the front) will probably perish!

It is from the first batch Grass Tree No.1, Planted 30/10/07. The little plant has not thrived in the last two months and now the outside leaves are browning off. It has taken 10 months for this plant to appear unlikely to survive. The strike rate in the wild must be fairly high I expect.This may account for the idea that Grass Trees are hard to grow! My small plot has been fairly easy to germinate, however growing the plants to a decent size will be more challenging.


***************

The Tally
88 in yogurt pots + 8 adults (varying sizes) + 1 seedling in the garden,
= 97 Grass Trees

Cheers Carol.

2 comments:

Knitterary said...

Maybe your baby grass tree is just having a growing pain. I hope it pulls through. These are very intriguing plants. I love visiting your blog to get a peek at life in your corner. It's all so beautiful.

My uncle and his wife had a baby girl, by the way. I went to their house to welcome my new cousin. My blanket was nowhere to be seen.

They showed me the blanket they said they found in a closet, the one they claim grandma made. I didn't have the heart to tell them grandma didn't make it. I can recognize her hand -- she had a funny way of pulling the middle loop on her double crochets, very distinctive and recognizable for anyone familiar with the craft. But I'm keeping my mouth shut on that one.

Carol said...

Thanks T. for visiting, these little plants are really interesting...little devils!

Congrats on having a new cousin!
A little girl ...just goes to show, technology can still be wrong!
And I'm sure you are right re: the dc stitch...we all have our distinctive little telltale signs in our work! I remember my Nana always cast on Knitting bands and they had little holes in them! lol

Cheers Carol