Saturday, February 23, 2008







Hi this is my first post which will probably be a real doozey...
However I shall carry on and hope for the best!

***************



Xanthorrhoea Johnsonii
Grass Tree
An Australian Native

An unusual and remarkably long lived, slow growing
evergreen tree, with a short, rough trunk and a tuft
of stiff narrow arching green leaves 60-90 cm long.
During spring, plants may develop a tall central spike
(2 metres) with small white flowers.
Forms a new grass head after the spear dries off.
An ideal feature plant for native gardens, shrubberies
or in containers. Thrives in well drained soil in full sun.
Tolerates dryness and frost. Avoid excess fertilizer.

*********

In my garden I have four Grasstrees, various sizes, I'm not really sure if they are the Johnsonii version, the two plants which have produced flower topped spears and seeds have looked slightly different from each other...so I assume they are cousins, rather than brother and sister.



Grass Tree No.1 was in the yard when we bought the house and is probably about 12-15? years old (maybe - not sure)

I had hoped to put a photo here ...but it keeps on uploading to the top of the blog ...so I'll have to read up on this...


****************


Grass Tree No.2 is approx ? (maybe 2-3 years) in the pot, but 3 years planted in the garden.

Thats her at the top of the page...um haven't figured how to put the photo's in here yet.
You can see that No.2 is producing a little spear, which will later grow lots taller,

and have abundant flowers and seeds.


I will post more pictures as figure out how to put them where I need them ...yikes


Cheers Carol

No comments: