Sunday, February 24, 2008

Grass Tree No.1
This is Grass Tree No.1, you may notice it has a tall spear which had flowered, seeded
and now is drying off, this photo was taken September 2007
I collected the seeds from this plant and managed to grow 5 seedlings.
I hope to have better results next time I collect the seeds.
I believe that I may have taken the seeds too early... when the little seeds
were not mature enough.
I read on the Net some pages of Info about Grass Tree seed collecting and after actually collecting and nurturing the seeds, I now think that I had many non-viable seeds.
I planted approx 35 seeds and raised 7 baby plants...still have 5 but 3 died, they looked as if they were missing a gene or something and they were very pale in colour, nearly white.
I planted the seeds into clean used yogurt pots and used Yates Seed Raising pot mix.




No comments: