Saturday, April 5, 2008

A Variety of Grass Tree Trunks...
This is a closer view of Grass Tree No.1, the narrow waist
must have been a lean year! (before we lived here!)
Apparently many gardeners burn the trunks with newspaper to
promote growth... wrapping a sheet or two around the trunk, setting fire to it
and no doubt burning off all those little sticky out bits!
This would add ash to the soil below and promote extra growth.
Grass Tree No.2... this one has a lovely uniform,cylindrical shape!
This wonderful plant is the one I have collected most of the seeds from and
so far germinated nearly 85 little plants...(unfortunately had approx 7 fatalities...)
Grass Tree No.3...
nearly as round as the above two, but only 1/4 the height of No2
I planted this one in 2006.

Grass Tree No.4... the smallest I have in the ground, planted in mid-year 2007
A more open pattern to the trunk, this may be a different variety or ?

Grass Tree No7. (no.5&6...have no trunks yet!)

My latest beauty! Waiting for the new fence to be built before I Plant him/her out into the garden, I want to plant so to show off the lovely slant on the trunk, which I think adds lots of character to the plant. I really like the little plantlets too!

Seedling Tally... 80 seedlings.

The 2 dicey seedlings I expected to perish ...DID!

I have 6 pots replanted, with nearly the last of my leftover seeds...some of them look a bit small so I hope they come up, also the weather is cooling down, we are in Autumn now and the days are great, however we have cooler nights!

And

I've no idea when my Grass Trees will have spears again, so I hope to give every seed a chance! Cheers

No comments: